Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Social Media Explained

As a marketing major, I'm interested in how new media affects marketing strategies and how businesses utilizes these new strategies. So, by simply searching media I found plenty of books relating to just that topic. The three books I found most interesting were:

Ryan Holiday's "Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator"
Found in 7 libraries, this book is about the behind the scenes manipulation that occurs with blog creators, blog managers, and everything in between.

Mark Schaefer's "Social Media Explained: Untangling the World's Most Misunderstood Business Trend" 
Found in 6 libraries, this book explains both the sociological and psychological factors that go into successful social media business strategies

And another book by Schaefer, "The Tao of Twitter" 
Found in only 4 libraries, this is another Schaefer book (he is a best selling author in this field of study). This book is more specific than the previous as it describes how twitter is used to broaden one's presence on the web.

Although all three of the books I researched were interesting, I decided on "Social Media Explained" after researching reviews and thinking about what would be most interesting to me. This book certainly has a similar tone as "The Tao of Twitter," so it is no surprise that both were listed under the subjects "Social Media" and "Online Social Media." Holiday's book was listed under "Public Relations--Blogs," "Marketing--Blogs," and "Social Media." Just from these search results it is apparent that they have extremely similar subject matters, but I decided on "Social Media Explained" because it covers a more broad subject matter. It received amazing reviews, and 4.4/5 stars on Amazon. I look forward to reading this book as it will not only be interesting, but will hopefully teach me more about my future career along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment