Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014


The three books I found in my search are The Invention of News: How the World Came to Know About Itself by Andrew Pettegree, Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other by Sherry Turkle, and The Digital Divide: Arguments for and Against Facebook, Google, Texting, and the Age of Social Networking by Mark Bauerlein. Alone Together is the most intriguing book because it is the most relatable. The book describes how people have become more isolated from other people because of new technology. Alone Together is the most popular among readers on Amazon, and is on par with the other books on Library Things. The book is cheaper than the other two books and is the most available. I would be able to get Alone Together at most libraries around me including the UW-Madison library. The critiques on the book are helpful to the future reader to determine how the author feels about technology and how it affects how we communicate. This review from the New York Times best describes "Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/books/review/Lehrer-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0


2 comments:

  1. After reading this review, I found lots of similarities and connections to the book I chose as well. This one seems more in depth with examples and evidence, which I like. It touches on a love perspective and how now we can be in love with technology. Very interesting, seems like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this book is very interesting just by looking at the cover. I hope this book consists of some valuable information on how we as humans are growing to rely more on technology than ever before. I think it is important to know the consequences of this issues. Great book choice!

    ReplyDelete