Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Possible Research Books

I sifted through several possible book choices and was able to narrow it down to The Impulse Society: America in the Age of Instant Gratification by Paul Roberts, Networks without a Cause: A Critique of Social Media by Geert Lovink, and Race Against the Machine by Erik Brynjolfsson. It made it easy to narrow it down to these three because most of the books that looked interesting to me (by their title) were not published within the past two years. (of the 10 I looked at, only 4 were within the past 2 years)
After completing the required research for these books, the range of pages in these books was [92,308], making it a little bit easier to gauge and choose which book I would prefer reading. The number of libraries, in my area, that contained these books ranged from [293,484], which I would say is a relatively small range. This made it clear that finding these books was going to be relatively easy and did not really distinguish any book from the other. GoogleBooks did not really offer me any great push towards any of the books, either. Each book was similar in that regard. Although LibraryThing revealed a bit more information than the other websites, the number of times that each book was read by its online community. It did not really affect my choice because the numbers were somewhat unrevealing because the smallest book had the most reads and the biggest book had the least amount of reads.
I ultimately ended up choosing Networks without a Cause: A Critique of Social Media by Geert Lovink. I chose this book because I believe that it offers me the best opportunity for analysis and I feel I have much to talk about in regards to the topic of the book.



http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.library.wisc.edu/docview/1416173386/DD4AE1E1E79649D1PQ/1?accountid=465

No comments:

Post a Comment