Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hello and Welcome to Section 307 of LIS 201 - The Information Society

Welcome to the LIS 201 Section 307 class blog! 

This will be our collaborative learning space to post article reports, online assignments, and to engage in respectful web discussion. To get us familiar with the blog format, I'd like us all to give a brief introduction. I will get us started!

I am a masters student in the School of Library and Information Studies, focusing my studies in archives and the preservation and conservation of library materials. I also have a job in the conservation lab in the basement of Memorial Library. There I work to repair old or damaged books to bring them back into circulation. I have my undergraduate degree in art history and fine art printmaking (including book arts) -- you could say I'm pretty into paper and printing! In addition to my interest in old things, I am passionate about public service and information access. After I got my BA in Washington State, I spent time volunteering as an instructor at a community literacy organization, teaching english and basic skills classes to adults.

I am brand new to Madison! I drove here all the way from Seattle with one of my closest friends (she returned to Seattle), camping and sightseeing along the way. To the right is a photo of us in front of the Crazy Horse monument in South Dakota. Luckily, my Volvo only broke down once and we made it to Madison in tact and with many fun memories made along the way. In addition to general adventuring, you can find me on my yoga mat or curled up with a book on my screen porch.

Now it's your turn. Please create a new blog post and introduce yourself to the rest of the class. Tell us about your summer or your plans for surviving the winter. Where are you from? What are your hobbies and interests? What are you looking forward to about this class? Include some photos of yourself or your pets. In addition to your post, I'd like you to engage with your classmates by posting a comment on someone else's introduction. If you need help creating a blog post, please visit the weblog tutorial page.

Please complete this assignment before lecture on September the 9th.

We have a lot of work ahead of us this semester, but also some interesting readings, engaging discussion, and new skills to learn. I'm looking forward to working with you all as you improve as writers, public speakers, and critical thinkers as we all ponder this "Information Society."

Looking forward to a great semester!

Molly





No comments:

Post a Comment